Fire destroys Capron home

Published 9:06 am Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A firefighter looks over the remains of a Capron home destroyed by a Tuesday afternoon blaze. Five were left homeless. -- KATE ARCHER | TIDEWATER NEWS


CAPRON—A four-alarm fire Tuesday destroyed a Capron-area home, leaving five people homeless.

Jamie Wilson lived at the home at 24126 Bryant Church Road with his girlfriend and her three children. An over-the-road trucker, Wilson was not at home when the fire broke out, but his girlfriend and two small children escaped unharmed, according to neighbors.

Capron Fire Chief Vernie Francis Jr. said the fire remains under investigation.

Neighbor Ryan House said he heard that Wilson’s girlfriend, who was not identified, was sleeping with the children in a bedroom, which is where the 1:30 p.m. fire started.

The girlfriend could not reach 911 on her cell phone, so she called House, who called 911.

Neighbor Herbert Spencer said he saw smoke and heard popping, and rode his bike to the home to see what was going on.

“It sounded like a huge firecracker going off, but multiple times,” Spencer said. “I saw the smoke and the electrical wire popping, and then it started to blow the whole side (of the house) out.”

Neighbor Wilson Evans also said he heard a loud boom.

“It was like a bomb,” Evans said.

The home is owned by James Wilson, who is Jamie Wilson’s father. The elder Wilson said he hopes his insurance will cover the loss. He said his son recently spent $2,000 on new furniture, appliances and clothing for the family.

Next-door neighbor Willis Evans said his home burned down a few years ago from an electrical problem. “After a while, the wiring just gets old,” Evans said.

Capron was assisted by Courtland, Boykins and Newsoms volunteer fire departments. Twenty-two firefighters responded.