Published 8:16 am Friday, November 5, 2010
Hillary Lauren Drake and Jason William Brock were united in marriage at Courtland Baptist Church at 2 p.m. Sept. 25, 2010.
The Rev. Thomas R. Speight officiated the double-ring ceremony.
The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Linwood R. Drake III of Franklin and Mr. and Mrs. Michael D. Felts of Courtland.
She is the maternal granddaughter of David R. Ricks Jr. of Franklin and the late Arlean L. Ricks, and the paternal granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Linwood R. Drake Jr. She is the step-granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Felts of Ivor and Sylvia Lowe of Franklin and the late Cecil Lowe.
The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward L. Brock of Courtland.
He is the maternal grandson of the late Mr. and Mrs. William R. Davis. He is the paternal grandson of Lucille S. Brock of Franklin and the late Elburt L. Brock and the honorary grandson of Connie D. Moore of Franklin and the late M. Wayne Moore.
The bride was escorted by her father and given in marriage by her parents.
Maid of honor was Taylor Morgan Felts, sister of the bride, Courtland.
Bridesmaids were Leslie F. Adams of Suffolk, aunt of the bride; Bradleigh E. Cumbey and Alexis C. Foster, both of Franklin, and Amy L. Cook of Newsoms, all cousins of the bride; Kayla D. McKenzie of Erwin, N.C., and A. Nicole Nelms of Smithfield, both friends of the bride.
Cara E. Cutright, cousin of the bride, served as flower girl.
Edward L. Brock, father of the groom, served as best man.
Groomsmen were Kendall L. Brock of Newsoms, brother of the groom; Curt B. Cook of Newsoms, cousin the groom; and C. Allen Butler Jr. of Franklin, Alex J. Gray and J. Wesley Vick, both of Courtland; and Jonathan L. Martin of Conway, N.C., all friends of the groom.
Ring bearer was Kyle D. Cook of Newsoms, cousin of the groom.
A program of wedding music was provided by David Setchel of Franklin.
Vocalists for the ceremony were Casey B. Cumbey, cousin of the bride, of Southern Shores, N.C., and Timothy and Pat Perry of Pendleton, N.C, friends of the bride and groom.
Scripture was read by Andy Foster of Norfolk, cousin of bride.
A poem was written and read by the bride’s mother.
Betsy W. Cutright, great aunt of the bride from Ivor, and Rebecca S. Martin, friend of the bride, served as mistresses of ceremonies. Erin Wilson of Charlottesville served as assistant to the mistresses of ceremonies.
Attending the guest book was Meredith R. Taylor of Courtland.
Program Attendants were Sarah D. Gray of Courtland and Trevor B. Cook, cousin of the groom, of Newsoms.
The bride’s parents hosted a reception at the Paul D. Camp Community College Regional Workforce Development Center in Franklin.
Music and entertainment was provided by Ray Bennett of Ray’s Florist, Suffolk.
After a honeymoon to Orlando and St. Petersburg, Fla., the couple is living in Courtland.
• A celebration of the couple’s engagement was held at the Sugar Creek Restaurant on the Outer Banks in August 2009.
• In May, Meredith Taylor and Sarah Gray hosted a gift card shower for the bride at the home of Sarah Gray.
• In June, Rhee Cumbey and Randi Foster hosted a Pampered Chef shower for the bride at Courtland Baptist Church.
• In July, Kendall Brock and Erin Wilson, Amy and Curt Cook, Billy and Laura Galtress, and Jerry and Leslie Tyree hosted a lawn and garden cookout and shower for the couple at Indian Town Hunt Club.
• In August, a miscellaneous shower was given by Mary Lee Butler, Sandra Cook, Ginger Lacasse, Connie Moore, Yvonne Slye and Marsha Whitehead at Courtland Baptist Church. A stock-the-bar shower was given by Sharon and David Lee and Dawn and Chris Purvis at the Lees’ home.
• Betsy Cutright, Becky Martin, Patty Felts and Leslie Adams hosted a bridal luncheon honoring the bride and her bridal party on Sept. 18 at Southern Sisters in Courtland.
• On Sept. 24, Mr. and Mrs. Edward L. Brock entertained the wedding party, close friends and family at a rehearsal dinner at Sebrell Community Center. It was catered by Elaine Butler. The bride and groom presented gifts to the bridal party at this time.