Trial begins for man accused in sexual abuse
Published 10:08 am Friday, October 1, 2010
COURTLAND—Jurors on Thursday began hearing testimony in the case of a 57-year-old Franklin man accused of sexually abusing a boy 25 years ago.
It’s the second time Samuel Parker Drewry has been tried on charges of aggravated sexual battery for two alleged incidents in 1985 — one in August when the alleged victim was 12 and another in December when the alleged victim was 13. Earlier this year, a jury was unable to come to a decision in Drewry’s trial.
The alleged victim, now 37, took the stand in Southampton County Circuit Court and described the alleged incidents in detail. He said he didn’t immediately report the alleged abuse to family members or authorities because he was “ashamed.”
“I was 12 years old,” he said. “I was scared. It wasn’t natural.”
Franklin police arrested Drewry in August 2009 after investigating the victim’s claims.
Jack Randall, one of the attorneys representing Drewry, said there was no physical evidence tying his client to the alleged crime. He said the alleged crimes were reported after the Drewrys were set to receive a significant financial settlement from the death of one of their children in an accident.
“The physical evidence will tell you clearly and unequivocally that this is a case about greed, extortion and inconsistencies,” Randall told jurors.
The alleged victim said he was aware of “some sort of settlement” but denied ever asking for money.
Randall also showed jurors pictures of Drewry holding the alleged victim’s daughter and questioned why the alleged victim would allow someone “who has allegedly molested him” to hold and even baby-sit his daughter.
“I was boiling over inside,” the alleged victim testified. “But I wasn’t brave enough to come forward.”