Nansemond-Suffolk remains winless after 29-7 loss to Christchurch

Published 1:07 pm Monday, September 13, 2010

SALUDA – Nansemond-Suffolk fell to an 0-2 start to its football season Saturday afternoon as host Christchurch scored a touchdown in each quarter for a 29-7 win over the Saints.

The Seahorses had success running and throwing the football. Taylor Byrd passed for 164 yards and a touchdown. Cool Battle led a host of Seahorse backs with 19 carries for 77 yards and two touchdowns.

Christchurch opened the game with an impressive drive down the field. Battle rushed for 48 of the 76 yards on the drive, including a 4-yard touchdown run. With a 2-point conversion, Christchurch moved out to an 8-0 lead.

NSA had some success on its opening possession. Bobby Lamm made a 25-yard reception, jumping up and wrestling the ball away from a Seahorse defensive back on a floated pass down the middle, to move the Saints to the Christchurch 27. Four plays later though, Christchurch held NSA on downs.

The next Saint possession ended with an interception, setting the Seahorses up on the NSA 21. Christchurch doubled its lead a few plays later.

NSA started all three of its second-quarter possessions in Seahorse territory, but came up with no points.

The Saints reached the Christchurch 16 with about three minutes left in the half, but Jack Russell fumbled on a rush through the line.

NSA regained the ball moments later with an interception by Thomas Westfall. Westfall, a linebacker, was blitzing on the play, he tipped the pass up and made a diving catch.

The Saints couldn’t gain a first down following Westfall’s pick and Bobby Lamm missed a 24-yard field goal, leaving a 16-0 Christchurch lead at halftime.

NSA’s lone score was powered by Lennon’s speed and Ryan May’s power making a good rushing combination. Lennon and May carried for nine straight plays, capped by Lennon keeping the ball on a draw for a 5-yard scoring run.

Christchurch answered three plays after the ensuing kickoff. After the Saints bottled up two running plays, forcing Christchurch into a 3rd-and-9, Byrd passed to Jordan Wallace along the right sideline. Wallace, with a good gain already, broke a Saint tackle and raced alone down the sideline for a 72-yard touchdown.

The Saints never really threatened to score through the final period and a half. The Seahorses added another touchdown midway through the fourth quarter, a 1-yard dive by Battle.

For NSA, Lennon finished 6-for-13 passing for 69 yards and an interception. May led NSA rushers with 49 yards. Lamm caught four passes for 51 yards.

The Saints open Tidewater Conference play Friday night going to Norfolk Christian.