Tots compete to win
Published 9:02 am Saturday, August 21, 2010
COURTLAND—Michelle Wise was a proud mother last Saturday.
Her 8-month-old daughter, Emma Lee, took first place among the 6- to 8-month-old girls in the Franklin-Southampton County Fair’s Tiny Tots Contest.
“We were really excited,” Wise said. “As her mom, I figured she would anyway. Everyone thinks their baby is the most beautiful.”
Emma Lee was among the winners and runners-up for the contest. Others were:
* Braxton Chase Elliott, the son of Christel McCoy of Wakefield, winner for boys 6-8 months old
* Sophia Adrian Wilkerson, daughter of Brandi Wilkerson of Franklin, runner-up for girls 6-8 months old
* Joseph Carter Fowler, son of Wesley and Ashley Fowler of Boykins, winner for boys 9 to 12 months old
* Kaine Lee Britt, son of Christina Beale and Justin Britt of Franklin, winner for boys 9-12 months old.
* Skylar Elizabeth Carr, daughter of Nicole Noia of Franklin, winner for girls 13-15 months old.
* Madelyn Renae Elliott, daughter of Jamie and Ralph Elliott of Franklin, winner for girls 13-15 months old.
Michelle Wise entered her daughter in the contest because it was something she had never done with her family. Finding the perfect dress took effort.
“We shopped two to three hours at the mall and found something,” Wise said. “Then I went to Kid’s Korner and found something I liked (better).”
Choosing winners was tough, said judges Mary Winningham and Debbie Kight.
“They’re all special and unique in their own way,” Winningham said.
“I’ve been in beauty contests and it was more difficult (than I expected),” Kight added.
Event sponsors were Array 700 in Suffolk; Hair Designs and Jack Jr. Towing, both of Franklin; Ashley Pearce Photography of Franklin/Southampton County; Kid’s Korner of Wakefield; and Cat’s Clips.