Welcome to new, improved tidewaternews.com
Published 3:50 pm Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Welcome to the redesigned www.thetidewaternews.com. We hope you like it.
You’ll see all of the same categories that you are accustomed to – News, Sports, Opinion, Business, Obituaries and others – but in a more navigable, visually appealing format.
The site also contains new features, including self-contained photo galleries from major community events, such as the Franklin-Southampton County Fair. Photo galleries previously could be viewed only on a separate site, www.TidewaterViews.com, which will remain active for readers to see archived galleries.
The new www.thetidewaternews.com also features a significant change in functionality: Only registered users can read comments posted by other readers.
“We have a few readers who don’t like to read the comments,” said Steve Stewart, the newspaper’s publisher. “Now they don’t have to. Casual readers and one-time visitors will not see the comments unless they sign up as a registered user.”
All current registered users must re-register on the new site.
“Unfortunately, we were unable to migrate our database of registered users to the new site,” Stewart said. “We apologize for the inconvenience, but readers will have to take a few minutes to register again.”
- At the top of the home page (beneath The Tidewater News logo), there is a link that says “Register.” Click on that.
- This will take you to a page where you will need to fill out all the questions it asks.
- After you have answered all of the questions in the form and submitted it, you will receive an e-mail that contains your password.
- This password is automatically generated, so we recommend that you change your password to something easier to remember. To change your password, log into the site by going to https://www.thetidewaternews.com/ and click on the “log in” link at the very top of the page (beneath The Tidewater News logo).
- Once you have logged in, you will see a link that says “My Profile.” Click on that link.
- Scroll down to the section that says “New Password” and enter your new password twice. Click the “Update Profile” button.
A reader must submit valid, verifiable first and last names, telephone number and e-mail address when registering. Readers who use fictitious names or contact information will be banned as registered users.
Readers are encouraged to call or e-mail with comments or suggestions about the new site.
“Like any website, the new www.thetidewaternews.com is a work in progress,” Stewart said. “Our web team has spent many hours creating an attractive, reader-friendly site, but we will continue to work hard over the next few weeks to iron out bugs and make it even better.”