Three generations of Franklin family recovering from crash

Published 10:17 am Saturday, August 7, 2010

FRANKLIN—As of Friday, Nicholas Zinn hadn’t been home in four days.

Since being involved in a Tuesday head-on crash that injured three generations of his family — all from the same Franklin household — Zinn has been between two Norfolk hospitals.

His 54-year-old mother, Sally Winters, underwent surgery at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital for a broken wrist, elbow and femur, and has a collapsed lung. She’s expected to remain hospitalized for seven to nine weeks.

Zinn’s 6-year-old son, Steele, is nearby, in the intensive care unit at Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters. He has a fractured skull.

“I am taking it one day at a time and taking care of myself at the same time,” said Nicholas Zinn, who was treated at Southampton Memorial Hospital for a twisted ankle and bruises. He went straight from SMH to Norfolk.

Zinn also must worry about the family business, which is in the midst of its busy season. The family operates the concession Sally’s Smoothies, selling blended, chilled drinks at festivals and fairs. They are scheduled to set up for the Franklin-Southampton County Fair, which opens Thursday, Aug. 12.

Virginia State Police reported that Winters was driving her car eastbound on Joyners Bridger Road at 2:34 p.m. Riding with Winters were her son, Nicholas Zinn; his sons, Steele and Havin, 2, and Nicholas’ brother, Daniel Winters, 18.

Winters’ compact car was hit by a westbound pickup driven by Taylor Revelle, 20, of Franklin. Revelle, who was not hurt, was cited with reckless driving.

Winters and Steele Zinn were flown to the hospitals in Norfolk. Havin Zinn was treated at the scene and Daniel Winters was treated and released from SMH.

In addition to broken bones, Sally Winters fractured some ribs and has a punctured lung.

“She was on oxygen all last night,” Nicholas Zinn said Friday.

Steele Zinn, who was seated in the back on the side where the car was hit by the truck, underwent plastic surgery for the fracture in his skull. Doctors also stitched up gashes in his face.

“He’s on oxygen and has not been fully responsive yet,” his father said.

The family was heading to Suffolk at the time of the crash. Zinn, who was sitting in the back seat between his sons, said he saw the pickup coming toward their car and yelled to his mother.

“I said to my mom, ‘There’s a truck coming,’” he said. “If it wasn’t for her turning the wheel, we’d probably all be dead right now.”