Last-minute win

Published 1:05 pm Thursday, December 3, 2009

FRANKLIN—In a game that Franklin never led until the final three minutes, the Broncos went on an 8-0 run late in the fourth quarter to down Southampton Academy 52-48 in the season-opening boys’ basketball game for both schools Wednesday night.

The game was halted with 34 seconds to play when SA’s Michael Milteer hit his head on the court after being called for a flagrant foul. Milteer was taken from the gym by ambulance with a possible concussion.

Trailing 46-44 with five minutes to play after a drive by Milteer, the Broncos scored the next eight points. Trey Kigler tied the game at 46-46 with a bank shot at the 4:33 mark.

The Broncos took their first lead of the game when Justin Grant scored on a jumper at 3:15.

After a Southampton Academy turnover, Franklin put the game away. Kigler scored on a drive at the 1:34 mark. Seconds later, Grant pulled off a steal and scored to give the Broncos a 52-46 lead with 1:26 to play.

The upset-minded Raiders came out firing. Wade Martin hit five 3-pointers in the first half as Southampton Academy opened up a 20-13 first quarter lead, and led by as much as 30-19 in the second quarter after two free throws by Milteer.

Franklin changed from a 2-3 zone defense to a man-to-man and shut down the Raiders’ outside game. The Broncos, who were playing on just three days of practice, caught up by outscoring Southampton Academy 13-7 in the third quarter. Franklin scored the last five points of the third quarter to tied the game at 40-40. Franti Urquhart scored three of the five points.

“They played real tight man-to-man. We tried to spread the floor out and get some back door cuts. We got a couple of layups,” said Hudson Bryant, Southampton Academy head coach.

“They were killing us in zone and I thought they might be good shooters, so we adjusted a little before halftime,” said Danny Dillon, Franklin head coach. “We forced them to do things they are probably not used to. We never played them before, so I didn’t know what to expect. I knew Wade Martin was a shooter, but for him to get four or five 3’s in the first quarter, that shocked me a little bit.”

Dillon said his team’s lack of practice contributed to the closeness of the game.

“I knew they were going to be a little more coordinated than us because we just finished our third practice yesterday. That played a big part,” he said.

Bryant was happy with his team’s effort.

“I’m proud of my guys. That’s what I told them. We’ll go back at it tomorrow and try to get better,” Bryant said.

For Franklin, Grant led the scoring with 17 points, Kigler added 13 points, and Urquhart scored 12 points. For the Raiders, Martin finished with 17 points and Milteer added 13 points.