Franklin wins slugfest

Published 11:39 am Saturday, October 17, 2009

FRANKLIN—After a scoreless battle for three quarters, Franklin broke through with two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to drop Surry County 14-0 in a Tri-Rivers District contest Friday night.

Lavon Evans, who ran 13 times for 118 yards and scored the first Bronco touchdown, led Franklin.

“Surry is a good team. We have been telling people all week that they’re a good team, and we beat a good team tonight,” said Franklin head coach Darren Parker.

The game proved to be a battle of the defenses as neither team was able to get into the red zone, let alone the end zone, until late in the fourth quarter. Franklin’s defense had four defensive stands where it held the Cougars to a three-and-out situation. Not to be outdone, the Cougar defense held the Broncos to two three-and-outs as well as two four-and-outs situations.

Franklin was able to penetrate the red zone for the first time with 6:06 left in the fourth quarter on a 9-yard rush by Evans, which set up a second-and-inches on the Surry 13-yard line.

Evans kept the ball on a 4-yard rush, giving the Broncos a new set of downs to work with and also putting them on the 9-yard line. On first-and-goal, Franklin quarterback Trey Kigler handed the ball off to Evans, who gained 3 yards to the 7. Evans took the next play up the middle for a 7-yard touchdown run. The two-point conversion run by Evans was good, making the score 8-0 with 4:55 left in the game.

On the next Cougar possession, Franklin’s defense came up with a big stop, holding the Cougars to a three-and-out after a sack of Surry’s backup quarterback, Sytoi Warren, for a 9-yard loss. On fourth-and-18, Surry set up to punt to Franklin on its own 27. The snap was good, but the kicker misjudged the ball as he dropped it to kick it and the ball dropped right in front of his foot. Surry’s special teams quickly jumped on the loose ball, but the visitors still turned the ball over on downs at the 18 with 2:46 left in the game.

Kigler handed the ball off to Martinez Hill, who ran it 4 yards, setting up a second-and-6 on the Surry 14. Hill took the next handoff up the middle for a 14-yard touchdown run. The two-point conversion attempt was no good, leaving the score at 14-0 with 2:01 left in the game.

The weather played a major factor in the game. Temperatures in the upper 40s and a constant shower the entire first half made for a slick field and slick footballs. This point was proven as Franklin fumbled the ball four times, losing it twice, and Surry five times with only one being a turnover.

Neither team’s quarterback was effective through the air thanks to the elements, with Kigler going 0-for-4 and Surry’s Damian Savage 0-for-1 with an interception.

“It was a tough game. We bent, but we did not break,” said Parker. “We had a lot of adversity. As a staff I think we did a great job making adjustments. As players they did a great job executing those adjustments we made.

“We have to move on and get ready for Charles City now,” Parker added.

Franklin plays Charles City at home next week in another Tri-Rivers District matchup. Game time is set for 7 p.m. at Armory Field.