Indians fall to Bulldogs

Published 10:46 am Saturday, October 10, 2009

COURTLAND—Trying to maintain momentum from a huge blowout over Bluestone last week, Southampton High School sputtered after a turnover late in the first half and dropped a 20-7 decision to Brunswick in a Southside District football game Friday night.

Southampton (2-3, 1-1) looked good early in the first half, especially on defense. The Indians defense came up with two big plays to keep the game tight early on.

On Brunswick’s first possession, Southampton’s Karon Evans picked off a JaVonte Green pass, which helped the Indians maintain good field position.

On the Bulldogs’ second possession, Andre Rawls picked off a Green pass and took the ball all the way down to the Brunswick 23. Southampton’s Saiquan Mason then took three straight handoffs and on the third, he ran 6 yards around the right for a touchdown with 8:52 to play in the first half. Luis Lino’s extra point made it 7-0.

With the Indians thoroughly in control and driving again, the wheels came off when Southampton’s Billy Nixon threw a fluke interception, which was tipped by wide receiver Thaddeus Stephenson and caught by Donald Hardy. Hardy raced down the right sideline 70 yards for a touchdown. The extra point kick by Jose Argueta tied the game at 7-7.

“That was the turning point. We were taking advantage of what they were giving to us. We hit the pass, he was wide open, and it popped out of his hands and was picked off and he ran it all the way back. That’s the breaks of the game. There’s really nothing you can do about that,” said Southampton head coach Littleton Parker.

Brunswick nearly scored again at the end of the half. Dequan Drumgold-Seward took a pitchout and ran 41 yards down to the Southampton 18. But the clock ran out when Green was stopped at the 1.

The momentum kept moving Brunswick’s way to start the third quarter. The Bulldogs (2-3) took the second half opening kickoff and moved the ball on the ground after abandoning the passing game they tried in the first half. Drumgold-Seward broke loose over the middle for a 27-yard gain down to the Southampton 20. Two plays later, Green ran 10 yards up the middle for a touchdown at the 8:31 mark of the third quarter. The extra point kick was blocked and the Bulldogs lead stayed at 13-7.

A Southampton turnover on its next possession led to another Brunswick touchdown. Saiquan Powell, who appeared to be down, coughed the ball up to Brunswick’s Torian Edmonds at the Southampton 40. Two plays later, Green again ran the ball over the middle, this time 35 yards for a touchdown with 5:54 to play in the third quarter. Argueta’s extra point kick upped the Bulldogs lead to 20-7.

The Indians were able to move the ball through the air, but could not hit paydirt in the final minutes. Nixon thew an interception in the end zone with 1:55 to play in the third quarter. Southampton then went on a 17-play drive, which also ended up with no points when Nixon tossed an interception at the Brunswick 10-yard line with 4:24 to play.

Southampton had one more opportunity to get on the board when Leon Stewart recovered a fumble and raced down to the Brunswick 8 with 1:13 to play. But a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty call moved the ball back to the 23 and Nixon was picked off again to end the threat with 1:03 to play. Nixon was 9-for-25 for 83 yards on the evening.

Brunswick rolled up 286 yards on the ground, including 170 on 16 carries by Drumgold-Seward.

Southampton had just 7 yards rushing in the second half. Mason had 67 yards rushing on 16 carries for the game.

Southampton plays at Powhatan at 7:30 p.m. next Friday.