Smoke draws firefighters to Riverdale; no damage

Published 2:43 pm Friday, March 13, 2009

Firefighters responded to smoke at Riverdale Elementary School on Friday morning. There were no injuries or damage to the building.

Franklin Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief Mark Carr said a smoke detector in the kitchen was activated at 9:56 a.m., when a butter product that was being made for students’ lunches got too hot and became smoky.

“The school got everybody out, and everything was cleaned up in a matter of minutes,” Carr said.

Units from Franklin Fire & Rescue and the Hunterdale Volunteer Fire Department responded to the incident.