Two-story house damaged by smoke

Published 8:12 am Saturday, February 21, 2009

BOYKINS—Firefighters from three departments responded to a house fire in Boykins on Friday afternoon. There were no injuries.

Boykins Fire Chief Danny Bolton said the cause of the blaze at 32160 Spring Garden St. was undetermined and was under investigation. He said that when firefighters first arrived at the scene, heavy smoke was coming out of one of the bedrooms in the two-story house.

Firefighters from the Branchville Volunteer Fire Department and the Newsoms Volunteer Fire Department assisted Boykins Volunteer Fire and Rescue with the fire.

Family and friends comforted Tammy Garris, the home’s owner, and tried to keep warm.

“I don’t know (how the fire started),” Garris said. “I was in another room when it started.”

Garris said she had been living in the house for about four years.

She said firefighters had not told her yet if she would be able to stay in the house Friday night.

When asked if she had somewhere to stay the night if firefighters said she could not return to her home, Garris said, “That’s hard to say.”