No four-peat for Isle of Wight Academy

Published 12:18 am Saturday, November 8, 2008

Isle of Wight Academy’s reign as Virginia Independent Schools Division III champions is over.

The Chargers fell 42-25 to second-ranked North Cross on Friday afternoon in the semifinal round of the Division III playoffs.

The Chargers played well in the first half, but third-quarter mistakes and turnovers doomed the team from reaching its fourth straight state championship game.

The Chargers (9-2) opened the scoring when quarterback Daniel Brown hit Zack Lamb with a 13-yard touchdown pass for a 6-0 lead in the first quarter.

North Cross countered with a touchdown when Tyler Caveness ran 3 yards for the score. Micajah Lacy booted the extra point and North Cross took a 7-6 lead.

In the second quarter, North Cross padded the lead when Glenn Williams tossed a 26-yard touchdown pass to Sid Brown. Lacy’s extra-point boot made it 14-6 in the second quarter.

IWA was able to close the gap before the half. Again, Brown had a touchdown strike, this time to Zack Warnick for 27 yards. The extra point run failed, which left the Chargers trailing 14-12 at the half.

The third quarter was not a good one for the Chargers as North Cross scored three touchdowns to break the game open.

“In the second half, we made some mistakes. We got down in scoring position and threw an interception, and they had some big plays,” said Dale Chapman IWA head coach. “We came back and scored, but we fumbled a punt and gave them good field position.”

The Raiders opened the third quarter with a score when Brent Ring ran 1 yard for a touchdown. Lacy’s extra point made it 21-12.

Thanks to a 90-yard kickoff return by Warnick, the Chargers were quickly back in the game at 21-18.

But North Cross came back with two more third-quarter touchdowns, both runs by Ring, to put the Raiders up 35-18.

IWA scored one more touchdown in the fourth quarter when Brown threw 32 yards to Lamb for a touchdown.

The Chargers had just 42 rushing yards for the game. Brown was 8-for-13 for 182 yards through the air.

Because of the odd 3 p.m. starting time, IWA players were up at 4 a.m. to get to the game.

North Cross will go on to play Blessed Sacrament Huguenot for the state championship next Friday night.