Dukes can’t finish off Surry

Published 1:13 am Saturday, October 25, 2008

DENDRON—Windsor High School’s chances for the postseason became dimmer on Friday night as Surry County downed the Dukes 38-26 in a Tri-Rivers District game.

Windsor is now a long shot to make the playoffs and will need help from other schools.

Windsor (6-3) looked good to start the contest. The Dukes took the opening kickoff and marched into the red zone. Quarterback Kwamane Harris scored on a 1-yard run with 5:54 to play in the first quarter. The extra point kick failed and the Dukes led 6-0.

On Surry’s first possession, the Cougars could not move the ball and were forced to punt. The kick was blocked by Windsor’s Joe Allison and the Dukes had the ball at the Surry 14 yard line. On the next play, Harris scored again, this time on a 14-yard run. The Dukes missed the 2-point conversion and the lead held at 12-0 at the 3:26 mark of the first quarter.

Surry came roaring back when Tevin Johnson broke loose for a 42-yard touchdown run. The 2-point conversion cut the Windsor lead down to 12-8 with 2:21 to play in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Surry’s Montel White was intercepted by John Speight, who ran the ball 84 yards for a touchdown. A 2-point conversion put the Dukes up 20-8 with 9:15 to play in the half.

Surry went to the air and White completed a 42-yard touchdown pass to Vincent Batten. White ran the 2-point conversion to cut the Windsor lead to 20-16 with 4:24 in the half.

Neither team could move the ball for the rest of the half or third quarter.

Surry took the lead for good with 10:16 left in the game when White hit Reginald Diggs with a 10-yard touchdown pass. The 2-point conversion gave Surry a 24-20 lead.

Windsor fumbled on its next possession with 10 minutes to play and the Cougars took advantage. Surry moved the ball and scored on a 12-yard pass from White to Batten with 7:03 to play to take a 30-20 lead.

With the clock winding down, Windsor lost the ball on downs with 6:57 to play at its own 47 when Harris was sacked. Surry took over, broke some big runs, and scored its last touchdown on a 12-yard pass from Johnson to to Batten. The 2-point conversion gave Surry a 38-20 lead with 1:17 to play.

The Dukes were not done. Harris connected with Speight, who shook off a defender, and raced 58 yards for a touchdown. The Dukes missed the 2-point conversion, and trailed 38-26 with 1:06 to play.

Windsor tried the onside kick, but could not recover and Surry burned the clock.

The Windsor rushing attack was led by Harris with 124 yards.

Johnson ran for 189 yards for Surry.

The Dukes have a bye week coming up and then end the season at Franklin.