Questions about the stimulus payment? Here are answers

Published 12:00 am Monday, March 3, 2008

Starting in May, the Treasury will begin sending economic stimulus payments to more than 130 million individuals.

The stimulus payments will go out through the late spring and summer.

The vast majority of Americans who qualify for an economic stimulus payment will not have to do anything other than file their 2007 individual income tax return to receive their payments this year. They will not have to complete applications, file any extra forms or call the Internal Revenue Service to request the payment, which is automatic. The IRS will determine eligibility, figure the amount and issue the payment.

Stimulus payments will be direct deposited for taxpayers selecting that option when filing their 2007 tax returns. Taxpayers who have already filed with direct deposit won’t need to do anything else to receive the stimulus payment. The IRS is reminding taxpayers that direct deposit is the fastest way to receive both your regular refund and your stimulus payment.

Low-income workers who have earned income above $3,000 but do not have a regular filing requirement must file a 2007 tax return to receive the minimum stimulus payment. Also, Social Security recipients, certain Railroad retirees and those who receive the veterans’ benefits must file a 2007 return in order to notify the IRS of their qualifying income.

Most taxpayers will receive two notices from the IRS. The first general notice from the IRS will explain the stimulus payment program. The second notice will confirm the recipients’ eligibility, the payment amount and the approximate time table for the payment. Taxpayers will need to save this notice to assist them when they prepare their 2008 tax return next year.

Anyone who moves after they have filed their 2007 tax return should notify the IRS by filing Form 8822, Change of Address, and also notify the Post Office.

You can check the IRS Web site at for detailed information and updates.

For local assistance, please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office, 207 West Second Avenue, Franklin, Virginia

or call (757) 562-1157 or (757) 562-8548.

(Information copied from the Internal Revenue Service Web site — Facts about the 2008 Stimulus Payments.)

Brenda rickman is the Commissioner of Revenue for the City of Franklin. Her e-mail address is