Citizen’s tip leads to burglary arrests

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 19, 2007

FRANKLIN—Two juveniles were arrested this weekend in connection with a break-in at a beauty salon on South Street.

A 15-year-old and a 16-year-old were apprehended after an investigation into the 11:15 p.m. burglary Saturday at Essence Beauty Salon, according to Franklin Police Lt. T.W. Whitt.

A citizen reporting that someone had kicked in the salon’s back door called police to the scene. The first officer on the scene saw suspects running from the business, and further investigation led police to the two juveniles, who have addresses in the 200 block of Washington Street.

Whitt said officers appear to have arrived before anything actually could be stolen. Damage to the business was limited to the back door.

&uot;This is an excellent example of citizens working with police in order to combat crime in their neighborhoods,&uot; Whitt said in a press release Monday. &uot;Alert, observant citizens who take a stake in the safety and security of their neighborhoods are the greatest asset as we partner together in order to improve the quality of life and fight crime.&uot;

He said Tuesday that investigators await lab results from both businesses and are evaluating whether there could be links between either or both burglaries and a string of downtown-area break-ins since October. There is also potential for other arrests stemming from the most recent burglary, he said.

The 15-year-old already has burglary charges pending, after being apprehended Oct. 15 leaving Simply Divine Caterers on Armory Drive, Whitt added. Police had asked juvenile court officials for a detention order for the teen, but that order had not been issued by Saturday.

&uot;It appears that the juvenile procedures really hamstring us,&uot; he said. &uot;Our position is that we have a repeat burglary offender.&uot;

Whitt said late Tuesday that the court had issued a detention order for the 15-year-old and that he would be picked up and taken to Tidewater Detention Home. He was scheduled to be in court on Wednesday, where a judge would determine whether he would remain locked up or be sent home with his parents.

The other juvenile remains free pending trial.