Southampton loses heartbreaker to Jamestown

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, November 6, 2007

WILLIAMSBURG-Jamestown had the ball for only seven plays in the second half, but it needed only one long bomb to snatch away a victory from Southampton at James City County Stadium.

On a chilly night in Williamsburg, Jamestown quarterback Michael Laycock threw a quick sideline strike to Broderick Gager with 1:55 remaining in the game to give Jamestown a 30-27 win over Southampton.

The Indians had erased an 11-point halftime deficit by using a ball-control offense to chew up yardage and eat away time off the clock.

Southampton dominated the second half with 35 plays from scrimmage compared to only seven for Jamestown. The Indians controlled the ball for 20:34 after halftime.

Trailing 23-12 at the intermission, Southampton took the second half kickoff and drove 61 yards while taking 7:28 off the clock. Running back Bobby Ellsworth, who gained 100 yards on 26 carries, capped off the drive with a five-yard touchdown run.

After a Jamestown punt, the Indians marched 70 yards in 15 plays and took the lead when Alonzo Holeman, who had 87 yards rushing,

powered in from two yards out for his second touchdown of the game to put Southampton in front 27-23 with 2:15 left in the game.

“The offense played well,” Southampton head coach Littleton Parker said.

“We did what we had to do. We kept (the ball) out of their hands.”

The lead was short-lived, however, when Laycock connected with Gager for a 58-yard touchdown for the game’s winning points with under two minutes to go.

“We had good coverage, but the kid made a great catch,” Parker said after the game.

The Eagles got on the scoreboard first, thanks to a 42-yard pass from Laycock to RaKeem Pressey that gave Jamestown a first down at the Southampton 9-yard line. Curtis Stevenson, who rushed for 127 yards, ran it in from nine yards out for a 7-0 lead.

Jamar Colbert then took the ensuing kickoff and returned it 64 yards before being chased down at the Jamestown 22. A few plays later, Holeman dove in from two yards out.

Stevenson scored again on the very next play from 79 yards to increase the lead to 15-6 after a successful two-point conversion.

However, Southampton answered with a touchdown run by Sidney Rawls, who picked up a fumble at the five-yard line and darted untouched into the end zone. Rawls finished the game with 80 yards rushing and added another 53 yards through the air.

Laycock added a touchdown pass to Pressey to give Jamestown a 23-12 lead at halftime.

Southampton (2-6, 2-7) closes its season with Senior Night at home against Poquoson on Friday.