Isle of Wight Academy rips Hampton Christian

Published 12:00 am Friday, September 14, 2007

ISLE OF WIGHT—Isle of Wight Academy used a combination of power, size, speed and discipline Friday night to overwhelm Hampton Christian in the Chargers’ home opener, 50-13.

It was the second consecutive non-conference win for the two-time defending state champions, who travel to Kenston Forest on Friday.

Following a bye week after defeating Bishop Sullivan in the sweltering heat of Aug. 25, Isle of Wight came out looking sharp Friday, scoring on the first two possessions of the game — and one of those belonged to Hampton Christian.

After taking the opening kickoff, the Chargers started on their own 41-yard line, converted a fourth-and-4 situation — helped by a face-mask penalty against Hampton Baptist — and scored less than four minutes after the game began when quarterback Rusty Brake faked left and ran right for 26 yards and the first Charger touchdown.

Two plays and 43 seconds later, Kevin King intercepted a pass and ran it back 55 yards for the second score. Cody Dowdy, whose first point-after attempt was wide right, made his second try and Isle of Wight Academy was up 13-0.

For the Chargers, it was the first glimpse that they had the bigger and faster team on the field — and maybe even the hungrier team after the week off.

&uot;I think we needed a game,&uot; said coach Dale Chapman. &uot;Two weeks ago, when it was so hot, we really couldn’t show what we can do.&uot;

While the Chargers posted the first two touchdowns, it was the defense that also showed it was ready took play, delivering some hard hits on the undersized Warriors.

&uot;After hitting each other in practice for two weeks,&uot; Chapman said, &uot;I think our kids were ready to hit someone in a different-color jersey.&uot;

Two plays after Hampton Christian was called for another major penalty, this time a unsportsmanlike foul, J.D. Honeycutt ran right for 45 yards, leaving Hampton Christian players in his wake.

Brake added another first-quarter with a five-yard run up the middle with 41 seconds in the first quarter to give Isle of Wight a 26-0 lead.

Chapman said he was pleased by the way his team came out early to buy the opponent.

&uot;Those are the tell-tale signs that we’re ready to play,&uot; Chapman said. &uot;If we come out and look good, everything falls into place.&uot;

King made a nifty touchdown catch early in the third quarter when a pass from Brake was tipped into the air by a defender. King was able to turn himself around and make the soft-handed catch over his shoulder.

Fullback Lance Moore pounded out six yards for a touchdown with 6:59 left in the half to give the Chargers a 40-0 halftime lead. It was the second time Isle of Wight Academy held a sizeable lead at the half. It led 24-0 two weeks ago.

The shutout was broken on the second-half kickoff when Hampton’s Earnest Holden ran it back for the team’s first touchdown of the season. Hampton Christian was shut out in last week’s opener 35-0 by Greenbrier Academy.

Brake answered that score with another one of his own from four yards out — his third score of the night — with 9:07 left and Dowdy added a 22-yard field goal with 4:43 to go in the game to wrap up the Chargers’ scoring.

Honeycutt finished with 109 yards rushing on nine carries, Brake added 52 yards and Moore had 48 yards. In all, the Chargers out-rushed Hampton 222 yards to 20, and had more first downs, 25-16.